If you are looking for more information about the ESTA application process or to review the Frequently Asked Questions, please explore the following help topics:

How can I receive an authorization to travel to Canada?

If you are planning to visit Canada and are a citizen of one of the 52 countries that are visa exempt, you must first apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before traveling to the country. An eTA allows travelers from visa exempt countries to apply online for their travel authorization without the need to apply for a travel visa at a Canadian embassy. Approved travelers will be allowed to visit Canada for visits of 180 days or less.

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

All persons traveling by air to Canada and are citizens of one of the 52 countries that are visa exempt need to apply for an eTA prior to traveling to Canada. An approved eTA is mandatory for all passengers including children.

If you are entering Canada via automobile through one of the designated land borders with the United States then you are not required to apply for an eTA. Citizens of countries that are not visa exempt must apply for a regular visa at a Canadian embassy or consulate.

How does eTA work?

The CANADA eTA application process requires travelers to provide personal and background information in an online application form. The application will require the following information:

  • Traveler information such as home address and phone number
  • Passport information including passport number, date of issue and date of expiration
  • Employment information and employer name
  • A valid email address
  • A credit or debit card for payment.

When is the eTA used?

Once you have been authorized to travel through our eTA process, you may be wondering how and when this will be used during your trip.

The first point where your eTA is checked is at check-in with your carrier to allow you to board the plane to Canada.

Is eTA a visa?

The eTA is very different from visa in several ways and using the term eTA visa is misleading. Many times the phrase eTA visa is used, but this can be a bit confusing.

Is my eTA still valid if my passport has expired / changed?

If you get a new passport, the eTA you received with your old passport is no longer valid.

Any time a passport is changed, you must reapply for travel authorization using the eTA process with your new passport details.